If you are considering a career as an au pair, it’s best to ensure that you’re fully aware of what to expect and how to behave, before you get involved in the industry.
Busy lifestyles and a thriving business community means that modern day parents often need a helping hand and that’s why au pair work has become a popular career path for many. While there are expectations of the au pair host family there are also a few expectations of the au pair, over and above their need of an experienced child carer.
Just like any other career, being an au pair will require you to have skills and experience to offer.
Being informed is important.
Au pairs are expected to be involved in the lives of the host family and that means fitting in with general household rules. In most instances the host family and au pair will have a set of rules and regulations agreed on by both parties, but knowing the basics is important too. Below we have compiled a few rules of conduct to assist you in your endeavour to be the best possible au pair that you can be.
- Always be 100% honest about your child care experience.
- Make sure that you treat your host family and their household possessions with the utmost respect.
- Keep family information and sensitive family topics confidential. The last thing you want to do is to unwittingly spread a rumour between other au pairs and families.
- Take the time to get to know your potential employer before you start working for them. Exchange emails, telephone calls and even text messages in order
- Always act in the best interests of the children. Make sure that you are familiar with children’s rights as well.
- Be safety conscious at all times. Fun should be had, but that should be responsible fun!
These are just a few of the rules that we expect our au pairs to commit to at Au Pair Extraordinaire. If you would like any more information and advice on rules of conduct for au pairs, simply contact us at Au Pair Extraordinaire today.