Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Private Tutor?
At AuPair Extraordinaire, we pride ourselves in matching the perfect au pair, private tutor, and babysitter candidates to the right families to create a healthy, happy, and nurturing environment for the children. Because of our commitment to the wellbeing of the children and our quest to create an environment in which they can thrive, we have a very stringent application process. Only candidates with exceptional qualities are approved.
So, what does it take to be a private tutor?
- As you will be tutoring children, it is important that you have at least a high-school certificate. Any additional education is beneficial but not necessarily required.
- You need to be professional, punctual, and reliable. The children depend on you and it is important to respect their time.
- You need to be focused. You are employed as a private tutor, so this is the role you need to fill during your hours of employment. You cannot use this time to complete your own homework, studies, or other tasks.
- You need to be comfortable with communication. First and foremost, you need to be able to guide and nurture the children in your care. Second, you also need to be able to communicate any concerns, initiatives, and developments to the parents.
- Be creative. As a private tutor, you are not there to merely supervise or read out of a textbook. Be engaging and make the lessons fun. Inspire and challenge the children.
- Be human. Have compassion, patience, and understanding for the children. These are the traits that truly touch their hearts and inspire them to excel.
There is a brilliant quote by Carl Jung that summarises this beautifully: “One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.”
If you feel a calling to be a private tutor and you think you have the necessary skills to deliver on our expectations, send your CV to AuPair Extraordinaire. We will review your application and contact you to set up a face-to-face meeting. If we share the same values and you meet our criteria, we will arrange interviews with potential families. As soon as we find the perfect fit for both you and the family, you will start working and earning money.